This article needs additional citations for verification. A suffragan of the Archbishopric of Aix-en-Provence and Arles, it comprised the whole département of Var. The arrondissement of Grasse, which until 1860 belonged to the département of Var, when it was annexed to that of the Alpes-Maritimes, was, in 1886, separated from Fréjus and attached to the Diocese of Nice. Fastes épiscopaux de l’ancienne Gaule: Tome 1: Provinces du Sud-Est PDF has been Bishop Dominique Marie Jean Rey.
This Elibron Classics book is a facsimile reprint of a 1894 edition by Thorin & Fils, Paris.
Christianity would seem to have been introduced into Fréjus in the fourth century. In 374 a certain Acceptus, who had just been elected to the See of Fréjus, falsely declared himself guilty of some crimes in order to rid himself of the episcopal dignity. At the Council of Valence, which met in July of 374, he begged the Church to name another in his place. Fréjus was completely destroyed by the Saracens in the early tenth century.
It was Bishop Riculfus who began the reconstruction of the Cathedral. The Island of Lérins, well known as the site of the celebrated monastery founded there in 410, was sold in 1859 by the bishop of Fréjus to an English purchaser. A number of the saints of Lérins are especially honoured in the diocese. The sojourn in 1482 of St. Francis of Paola at Bormes and at Fréjus, where he caused the cessation of the plague, made a lasting impression.